Sunday 30 December 2007

New Zealand

I'm starting to get excited about a planned trip to New Zealand this summer, which has me checking out "adventure" tours. I say "adventure" because while there are actual tours for people who enjoy having elastic cords tied to their ankles and jumping off cliffs, some of these so-called adventures are walking tours where your luggage is actually transported by car.

I like this option.

There are two problems, though:

1. There are too many out there! Apparently New Zealand is known for this kind of tour. It's amazing what you turn up if you do a search for New Zealand adventure tours. There are literally dozens of companies, each offering several tours.

2. Our summer is New Zealand's winter, which means some of the tours aren't running.

Still, I'm excited about this idea. Usually when I travel somewhere I tend to think of the touristy spots first -- you know, the "sights." I love the idea of getting off the beaten track, although given the number of adventure tours, I suspect the track will remain fairly worn.

No comments: