Saturday 22 December 2007

Traveling by Car Sucks

I just drove 600 km in a single go, which took me almost six hours. Usually it wouldn't take so long, but after both the person in front of me and the person behind me were pulled over, at the same time, by two different cops, I decided I could take a hint, and I slowed the heck down.

You know, I could have flown this same distance in about forty five minutes? Of course, it's the cost that's so prohibitive: if you're traveling a (relatively) short distance, it still makes more financial sense to go by car.

Traveling by car has a whole host of disadvantages, though, noteably:

1. It's boring, and if you're tired, you start drifting off.

2. The aforementioned cops.

3. It's slow.

4. The roads sometimes suck (although today, thankfully, they didn't).

5. If you live where I live, deer constantly run across the highway in front of you, scaring you out of your wits (OK, by "constantly" I mean once. Still).

It has some advantages too, though:

1. Price

2. Traveling on your own schedule

3. It's far easier to travel with pets

4. The scenery is slightly more interesting (or I assume it is, if you don't live in the middle of a barren wasteland)


Hmm. Maybe traveling by car isn't SO bad, after all. What do you think? I guess a lot depends on whether you like to drive. I don't particularly, and I do like to fly. On the other hand, if I have enough new music to listen to, driving isn't that bad -- so thank heavens for the iPod!

No comments: