Wednesday 26 December 2007

Winding Down

In the aftermath of the Christmas holiday, I find myself reconsidering the whole meaning of travel. For a long time I thought every time you set off on a holiday it should be an adventure. But how many times do you come back from a trip and think, I need a holiday to recover from my holiday???

Currently I'm on holiday at my parents' home, and I'm enjoying doing absolutely nothing. It got me thinking: sometimes you need a holiday where you do nothing. And you don't have to stay home to do it, either. Actually, you shouldn't: the thing about your home is that there's always something you could be doing there. Besides, people know how to get in touch with you! :)

No, if you want a do nothing holiday, find a secluded hotel somewhere you love. Pack a big bag of books, movies, sketchbooks, or whatever you think you'll enjoy. Grab a significant other or best friend if the mood strikes you. Hit the library and get a book that'll teach you a skill you've always wanted to learn: painting, woodburning, pottery. Make sure you have the supplies and take off!

Of course, if you're cringing, you could always hit a spa, someplace with lots of quiet nature trails, or an isolated section of beach (even some of the less-traveled islands in Thailand are great for this). The idea is to relax and return home refreshed, relaxed, and definitely not in need of a holiday to recover from your holiday!

No comments: